gurdonark: (Default)
I had a good chat with my sister during the lunch hour today. After work, I walked in Hoblitzelle Park. I wondered about what raptor flew by. Then it landed and I saw a Mississippi Kite. The weather today was warmish but not hot. I am pleased the rain is stopping in Houston.

We watched the last episode of Series 6 of "Foyle's War" tonight.

Breakfast: grainberry cereal and skim milk
Lunch: turkey sandwich and baked chips
Dinner: London broil sliders and broccoli

Hello sun

Aug. 29th, 2017 11:14 pm
gurdonark: (Default)
The sun came out today, after an absence of some days. The horrible storms that hit Houston only gave us in north Texas clouds and a bit of rain. I walked in Heritage Park and in Suncreek Park. I picked up my dry cleaning. I saw a Facebook memory about being in South Dakota some years ago.

breakfast: kix cereal and skim milk
lunch: turkey sandwich and baked chips
dinner: salmon with ginger, sweet potato, green beans

rainy day

Aug. 28th, 2017 10:02 pm
gurdonark: (Default)
The sky was overcast today. In the afternoon it rained heavily. It began raining just after a phone app advised me that rain was unlikely. It ended by the time I left work. After work I walked in Timbers Nature Preserve in Murphy. I liked the Downy Woodpecker and the American Kestrel.

The news is full of the flooding in Houston.  I hope things begin to improve soon.

Tomorrow I must pick up my dry cleaning. I updated a computer to give to a friend in need of use of a laptop. After updating it, I changed the appearance to make it look old-fashioned and familiar.

Breakfast: oats and honey cereal
Lunch: turkey sandwich and baked chips
Dinner: pork loin, salad, and a sweet potato
gurdonark: (Default)
The sky here remains overcast as slender tendrils of the storms 400 kilometers south reach up to our area. The rain has been light thus far. The storm stands centered over Houston and its surrounding counties. It looks as if it will drop a meter and a half of rain before it is done. The news is full of pictures of people being rescued by boat.

My morning went by the form book:

a. forty minute walk in Allen Station Park;
b. forty minutes in Weight Watchers--there was more standing in line than usual because they were short-handed at check-in. I was up 2.2 pounds after last week being down 3.1 pounds. The person handling check-in explained she was watching her texts, as her mother was in Houston; 
c. twenty minutes walking in Shawnee Park;
d a church service; and
e. a meeting after church about a resumption of The Way church service.  This incarnation will feature seminary students speaking. I signed up to put away chairs after the service, a duty I consider uniquely suited to my theological gifts.

In the afternoon, when I was not watching people being rescued from floodwater on television, I went for a bicycle ride on the Watters Creek trail. Watters Creek was lightly flowing.  I covered a bit more than five miles in a bit less than 90 minutes. I saw a great Red-Shouldered Hawk on a low-lying tree.

Now I am watching "Endeavor" on PBS.

breakfast: Kix cereal and skim milk, lunch: grilled chicken, greens, a roll and squash, dinner: grilled chicken breast, corn tortillas, pinto beans and broccoli

gurdonark: (Default)
I stayed up somewhat late last night watching the news coverage of the south Texas hurricane, Harvey. So far it sounds as if the damage is heavy, but much less heavy than it might have been. But the key worry with this storm is not confined to wind at initial landfall. The chance of a meter of rain causing flooding in Houston or Galveston during the coming week sounds like a risk still in effect.  Meanwhile, Rockport and Port Aransas got hit quite hard. Only one death is reported so far, but we will see. It was a powerful storm, and more will be known in the coming days. The townspeople apparently did a good job of evacuating.

Saturday morning I re-watched the movie "Defending Your Life", the light comedy with Albert Brooks and Meryl Streep which tells a humorous after-life story. I enjoy seeing that movie. I believe the film is now over 25 years old.

Today the sky was overcast and the temperature was cooler. We only got a little rain, as the storms down south had only a tangential effect here. Tomorrow we may get some more rain, and then heavy rain is likely on Thursday, if the forecast is accurate.

I decided to walk in Limestone Quarry Park in Frisco. I put on my headphones and listened to music. I listened to the album "House Plants" by Brynn, the Entertainment for the Braindead album titled "Postcard 2: Songs for the Homesick", part of Verian Thomas' "Median I",  and Phillip Wilkerson's track "Radiance". Then I put on Radio NZ.  Radio NZ National played a song by Pentangle, Magic Sam's version of "Sweet Home Chicago" and Johnny Cash's "Rock Island Line". I walked 4.75 miles round trip, up to Harold Bacchus Park and back again. I took notes of the birds I saw.  I sighted, among other things, my first Brown Thrasher of the year. That brings my bird count this year for Collin County up to 105.

In Harold Bacchus Park, the fields held numerous youth baseball players. As I walked by, I saw strike-outs and wayward pitches. But I did not see any hits. I did see a happy Lhasa running with a bicycle. Later, the Lhasa was a bit tired, and had to be coddled a bit. I think the bicyclist may have mistaken her Lhasa for a Labrador.

I ate lunch at Chicken Express. Then I headed home. I listened to and read two hours of legal education seminars, fulfilling my 2017 Texas Mandatory Continuing Legal Education requirements.  I took Beatrice for a late afternoon walk. She enjoyed it a great deal. One little girl asked me "Can I pet him?".  I told her she could pet her. Beatrice enjoyed that. Beatrice always likes kids. Later, a littler boy came up with the same request, and gently petted Beatrice, who enjoyed it.

Tonight we met our nephew and his girlfriend for dinner at Da Won, a good casual Korean restaurant in Plano. We had a good meal and a good visit. We were all glad we got together. I like my nephew and his girlfriend.

Now we are home and I am relaxing while sports plays in television.

breakfast: Mom's Best oats and honey cereal and skim milk
lunch: fried chicken breast and leg, green beans and a roll
dinner: bulgogi chicken, kim chee and various other pickled vegetables

gurdonark: (Default)
The state is abuzz with news of Hurricane Harvey.  We are hours north of Houston, where a huge drench is predicted more hours north of Corpus Christi and Rockport, where landfall is about to occur.  Here we are predicted only to get scattered storms. The city is focused on opening shelters. When Hurricane Katrina and Hurricane Ike came, our area realized that help could be extended in the form of places to stay.

Some people who came after  Katrina destroyed much of New Orleans still live here. We know many of them on the freeways---from the New Orleans Saints bumper stickers.

The storm's landfall is in Rockport or thereabouts. Rockport is a fun little beach town--less a resort than a fishing town. There is an old highway bridge where one can walk, buy shrimp and fish for redfish. Down the road is the Aransas National Wildlife Refuge. We walked there on New Year's Eve in 2006.  A huge alligator was on the trail.  I remember catching an ocean catfish fishing from the shore in a little town that was called Austwell. We walked Beatrice tonight under cooler but calm skies, thinking about the coming storm down south.

Tonight I hope that the damage is less than expected.

At lunch I saw a Ruby-Throated Hummingbird in a nearby bush. At dinner, we met at Good Union BBQ. It's a different little BBQ place,but one I like a lot.

Breakfast: cereal and skim milk
lunch: 2 slices of buffet pizza, pickles, carrots and broccoli\
dinner: BBQ turkey sandwich and shoestring potatoes.

gurdonark: (Default)
I walked at lunch in Breckinridge Park. I saw lots of Eastern Bluebirds. As I turned onto the access road to go to work, I saw a man on the street corner. He held a well-designed wooden sign with the neatly-painted "Jesus is the Only Way" printed upon it.

I was glad my wife returned from Kansas. We ate salmon and couscous.

breakfast: instant oatmeal
lunch: 3 soft chicken tacos
dinner: salmon, couscous

gurdonark: (Default)
On Monday, August 21, 2017, our area experienced a 76% partial solar eclipse. I found myself quite excited about the whole thing. It conveniently fell in substantial part during my lunch hour. I tried out my home-made cereal-box pinhole projector with mixed results.  The folks at the office next door had a similar contraption that worked better.

But the unequivocal hero of my day proved to  be a box of Keebler Toasteds, a form of cracker. I used this to create a "Ritz pinhole device", i.e., an eclipse viewer,  by projecting the sun's rays through the holes in the cracker and onto a piece of cardstock card. The result was splendid. Each little cracker hole permitted the projection of a little eclipsed sun image onto the card. As the first part of the eclipse began, I could see it begin with a little disk transit. I was able to go out just near the peak eclipse, and the images through the cracker were grand. I could see the radically-partially-eclipsed sun image (dozens, actually, because of the cracker methodology---dozens of tiny suns on cardstock). One great thing about the Keebler method is that one could share it--I handed out crackers and cardstock to the folks in my office as well as to sundry passersby. At peak eclipse, the temperature got a little cooler and it looked like late in the afternoon. But this effect was transitory.

In the morning, I heard from my wife in Kansas City. A morning storm endangered their hopes of seeing the total eclipse. But by eclipse time, it cleared.   She was among lots of people in Lake Weatherby, Missouri, floating in the lake with "floaties", watching the eclipse. She reported it to be a wonderful experience.  The storm held off until the totality had passed. I am so pleased she got to experience that.  For some reason, I did not have a lot of interest in taking a day off for that. I am glad I made that choice. I got some things done I wanted to get done.

I had such a good time with my non-glasses gizmos in my work parking lot. I learned from other friends of other ways I could have done it--two friends used a collander, my physics Ph.D. friend did creative things with binoculars projected on the ground, and one client's employee reported on use of the "tree method" (though I did see some of the tree effect early during the eclipse).

The only danger in the Keebler Toasted astronomical approach is that the crackers taste pretty darn good.

I found myself unaccountably fascinated by the whole thing. It had a Citizen Science feel that appealed to me. I I looked up upcoming eclipses. I see a total lunar eclipse in January 2018. It takes place in the wee hours of the morning, ending in mid-morning. I hope I remember to watch it. The next total solar eclipse here in north Texas is in 2024. If I am around then, I will enjoy seeing it, crackers in hand.

In other news, I aired up my tires (thereby satisfying my car's warning system), got a bill payment in the mail, and managed to get to the gas station before my gasoline tank went to empty. So I suppose I was not a total casualty of the eclipse.

Breakfast: Kix cereal and skim milk
Lunch: turkey sandwich and baked chips
Dinner: grilled chicken, green beans, kernel corn and a chocolate chip cookie
(eclipse extra: Keebler Toasted Crackers)

gurdonark: (Default)
I walked on the Chisholm Trail sidewalk path in Plano first thing this morning. I liked the three American Crows and the young Cooper's Hawk who had a tense stand-off on a picnic table in a park. None of them seemed phased by the experience.

At Weight Watchers I was down three pounds. I like the leader, Bernice, though once in a while she singles me out to point out that I do not "share" enough during the meetings. I suppose every small group must have a pecking order.  My place in the order is to be pecked whatever I say, and pecked if I stay relatively silent. My error this time, apparently, was in my answer to the question along the lines of "how are you doing?"  The expected answer, as near as I could make out, was supposed to be "I'm not gaining weight".  My response, a bit less cheerleader-y than desired, was that I could not say for sure I had lost weight, but the scale would soon tell the story. 

Her reasonable point was that research shows that folks lost more weight when they think about weight loss in a positive light. My reasonable point was that the arithmetic fact of whether I had gained or lost weight today would not be impacted by my answer, 2 minutes before weigh-in, that I had lost weight.  I like Bernice, who is a good leader. I have lost weight during my time attending sessions for which she is the leader. But if I were a bit less seasoned at taking negative input, I might feel differently about things.

On balance, I am okay with how things are, even if I do not volunteer the right things during meetings. I know the secret joy of having an introvert/extrovert mix that makes my degree of outgoing behavior vary wildly from situation to situation. I do not claim that my views are stellar---otherwise, I would be forced to defend my feeling that nothing makes me feel more isolated at a church service than the part when the minister asks everyone to turn and greet their neighbor. I bond better over hymns.

On the way to church, I walked in Oak Point Park. I got pictures of an Eastern Bluebird. After church, I ate chicken, broccoli and tortillas at El Pollo Loco.  At home, I did some chore-type stuff, but not as much as I meant to do.  I will do a bit more tomorrow.

In the afternoon, I decided to work on the piece for a new compilation release in which I am involved. Seven of us will create a song in the first phase, as well as 12 to 18 stems or samples. Then the moderator will re-circulate the samples. we will use our respective samples to make a second piece. Then the moderator will re-circulate samples again.  Each of us should therefore be able to make new pieces from disparate samples.

I used the software tools Sawcutter 2.0, Audacity and Noiser to make a five-minute ambient piece out of 18 samples. Then I zipped the piece and its samples, and, using a third-party transfer service, sent them to the moderator. I was glad to get this done today, some weeks before it was due.

My wife called in the late afternoon. She had given me eclipse glasses for my birthday. But she accidentally took them to Kansas City. I went to a couple of stores, which were out. So I looked up how to make a pinhole projector on the NASA website. When I got home, I make the necessary cuts on a cereal box and made my pinhole projector. I also got some  crackers, which as a kind of less intense way to get to the same goal. Perhaps it is fitting that the glasses were not here, because I have felt a skepticism that they will provide the safety desired.

I am glad that I am keeping our backyard plants in a good watered state. I am ready for tomorrow's partial eclipse. Our local prediction is 76% eclipse.

breakfast: Kix cereal and skim milk
lunch: grilled chicken breast and wing, broccoli and corn tortillas
dinner: three pieces of fried catfish, green beans and two rolls.

gurdonark: (Default)
We woke up early this morning. My wife left to catch a plane to Kansas City. She will spend the weekend with family.  Then she will view the Monday total eclipse. I did not wish to take Monday off work, so I am staying here for the 75% eclipse. Perhaps I'll get to see the 100% when it comes a bit further south in 2024.

I took Beatrice for a morning walk.  The park was quiet. I suspect everyone was out preparing for the first day of school on Monday.  After our walk, I rode for 90 minutes on the Watters Branch bicycle path near our home.  August is a bit less active for bird life--nesting is largely done and not much migration has begun.  I had a good time pedaling slowly for several miles.

I ate lunch at Dickey's BBQ.  Then I decided I wanted to walk in the shade. I went to SunCreek Park in Allen. There I could walk in the shade and on the Trail at the Woods. In addition to woodland  birds, I got a good luck at a Velvet Ant, the flightless wasp with vivid colors.

The rest of the day I largely rested. I went to Subway to pick up some dinner. I meant to get some chores and hobby stuff done tonight. But right now I think I may go lie down and rest.

breakfast: Kix cereal and skim milk
lunch: BBQ turkey, green beans and a roll
dinner: turkey sandwich and baked chips

gurdonark: (Default)
I took the train to downtown Dallas first thing Friday morning. A bit later, I was walking to catch the train back to Parker Road Station in Plano. I saw police cars and emergency vehicles. I worried there might have been an incident. I was a couple of blocks from El Centro College, where in the past year or two a domestic terrorist sniper killed several police officers.

This time the ambulance nearby was helping a man with no obvious wounds who did not feel well. Police and EMT people patiently helped him into a gurney so he could get medical care.

Friday night we watched "Over Her Dead Body", a pleasant light comedy. I kept trying to place the lead actress. I did not figure out until the closing credits that she was Lake Bell. I should have remembered before then.

Lately I read social media political posts that show there is a fine line between a true believer and a bot.

breakfast: brown rice cereal and skim milk
lunch: turkey sandwich with baked chips
dinner: Mediterranean chicken, fruit, slaw
gurdonark: (Default)
Yesterday I could not reach someone by telephone. I will take the train downtown to handle a matter in person I had hoped to handle by telephone.  I walked yesterday in Half-Priced Books and in Best Buy rather than in a city park. I did my monthly intake of new clients at the Garland pro bono clinic.  We went until 9:15 or so, with lots of clients. I like that the clients were all nice people.

The national news continues to puzzle. Although I remain optimistic that things will eventually improve, it looks as if we will continue to have more absurdity before things improve.  I hope that voters turn out in 2018, and that voters vote the way I want them to vote in the next election.

Yesterday was Results Day in much of the United Kingdom. I "watch"  it every year on social media via Twitter. I find the UK system fascinating, in which university admission offers can be predicated upon achieving x grades on the A-Levels, a set of comprehensive examinations. We have some analogous situations here, but it all works a bit differently and a bit less uniformly here. Social media allows one to see folks discuss their results in real time. Oddly, one also reads annual tweets by Jeremy Clarkson, the former host of car show Top Gear.  He posts annually how he did poorly on his A-levels and now he is a rich and comfortable man. Though I think his intentions are good, I notice that lots of 17 and 18 year-old folks feel little need of tweets about how events they find heart-breaking were but a bump in the road for a now-middle-aged man who improbably found success as a media presenter, before he punched someone at work. Overall, I am not offended by use of examinations to assist with school admissions. But it is a lot of pressure for kids. I think that it's far better, though, than some other things kids that age have faced in recent history. It's a myth that kids reaching young adulthood have ever been sheltered from challenges.

People in this country and the UK can discuss applying to "reach" schools and to "safety schools". I never applied to a "reach" school in my life, with perhaps one exception, and always looked into "safety schools". Both my undergraduate school and my law school were schools a bit less selective than my grades and standardized test scores would have permitted me to attend. It's not a huge difference--my credentials would have gotten me into more selective schools than the state universities I attended, but not into truly elite, selective schools. But I think about how social class filtered into that outcome.

My parents were both children of folks who did not get to attend university after high school.  My mother's mother did get her normal certificate, which involved some teacher training, but did not get a university degree until my mother was college-age. My mother's father could not attend university despite high grades after he had to work to help support his family when his father died of tuberculosis.  My father's father and my father's mother never went beyond high school, and I am not aware of their aspiring to ever do so.

My parents valued education, in part because their parents valued, though they did not obtain (save one grandparent in later life), much formal post-secondary education. But their notion of the pinnacle was not to have a child in an elite school far away.  Their notion was to send their children to state universities. This was more affordable. But also this offered the possibility that kids who went to the state university would stay nearby after university. My father had gone to a more elite university than the state university, though not  quite a "top" school. He found the experience a bit of a mixed blessing, as his classmates included folks who had better educational backgrounds than what he had received in high school. He had been co-valedictorian of his high school class but university was more difficult for him. He ultimately did well enough to get into the University of Arkansas Medical School, though not into the medical school at Tulane, his undergraduate institution. But the experience caused him to have a lifelong belief that the local state university was a simpler way to get an education.  As applied to me, his new belief worked out pretty well. I retain, though, a lifelong prejudice in favor of public education, public libraries, and educational opportunity for all as a social equalizer.  I think one of the most pernicious things in our society is the concerted effort to shift more costs of post-secondary education onto kids. This has the effect of making it harder for kids who grow up poorer to get post-secondary education. I'd like to see that trend reverse a bit.

We have rain predicted again today. This has been a surprisingly "normal" Summer, except it's been a bit wetter than usual. I hope it is not cloudy on Monday, the day of the 75 percent eclipse here.

breakfast: brown rice cereal and skim milk
lunch: turkey sandwich and baked chips
dinner: three slices buffet pepperoni pizza, pickles, cucumbers and

gurdonark: (Default)
I mentioned to my law partner how I had looked up WWII enlistment records for my late uncle and distant cousin. My partner reminded me that his late father and his late uncle had both been crew on bombers in the Pacific theater of the war. His father had been on one of the first daylight raids upon Japan.  His uncle had been a prisoner of war in a brutal camp after being shot down.  Tonight I looked up their enlistment records.

They enlisted a goodish way but in the same state from where they were from. They came from Cherokee County in rural east Texas.  Their transition to India and flying on B-29s and being exposed to drastic risks, things outside their experience, must have been a huge culture shift for two twentysomethings. I read an issue of Life Magazine from the 1940s which contained a picture of the bomber on which my partner's father was bombardier. It looks primitive and dangerous and a marvel, as all airplanes do.

The news is full of odd things still. Meanwhile, folks on social media talk about unplugging and getting away from the news. I think this is not the right thing to do.  I am all for kindness beyond narrow political contexts. But this is a time when paying attention matters a bit more than usual--and it always matters a good bit.  I think it's a time when things will change swiftly. I hope things get better.

I looked up my late Great Uncle Jake's records, too.  He served stateside, working on airplanes. He saw the people go off to war, but did not duty closer to home.

After work, I walked in Bob Woodruff Park. I listened to the Late Night Linux podcast.  I watchded part of a baseball game on television. Later, we watched another episode of "'Foyle's War". 

breakfast: a mix of cereals and skim milk
lunch: three soft chicken tacos
dinner: fried chicken breasts, corn-on-the-cob, green beans and a roll

gurdonark: (Default)
I read this morning a bit about the Battle of Midway, the Battle of the Coral Sea, Guadalcanal and Pearl Harbor.

This evening I read about the prisoner-of-war camp my late cousin B.B. Lewis was interred in during World War Two. He started as a prisoner of war in Stalag Luft 3.  This camp was the site of the Great Escape. But  my cousin just spent months there--from February 1945 when he was transported there after being shot down over the Czech Republic to April 1945 when the camp was liberated.

I also found the enlistment record from 1941 for my late uncle Colbert Stott. He joined the national guard and eventually became one of the people attached to a battery in Alaska. He was present during the 1942 Japanese attack on Dutch Harbor. The enlistment record suggested he enlisted in the National Guard in 1941, before Pearl Harbor.

I ate purple corn flakes for breakfast with skim milk
I had a subway sandwich and baked chips for lunch
I had a chicken breast, green beans, small blue potatoes and part of a sweet potato


gurdonark: (Default)
Last night the rain fell assiduously. My wife watched it flow like a river down the street. We live on higher ground. So we had no threat from the water. But an August rain this early with such volume is a bit unusual.

I started my morning in Shawnee Park. A Green Heron stood on the railings. Three Eastern Phoebes stood in a disc golf cage, as if they shot birdies. A spot of sprinkle did not deter me. 

I stopped by a Dollar General. My car phone charger stopped being effective. So I got a replacement. Then I headed to Weight Watchers. I was up a pound and four-tenths. After work, I walked a bit in Hoblitzelle Park. Then I headed to church. I was pleased that the minister spoke firmly about the fascists and neo-Nazis in Virginia, and how this kind of bigotry has no place in our society.

In the afternoon, I walked on the Celebration Pass Trail. I liked the Snowy Egret with its golden feet, and the tiny rabbit that posed along the sidewalk. I fell asleep in the late afternoon, and slept until 6 p.m. I walked in Green Park, and then picked up take-out from El Pollo Loco.

gurdonark: (Default)
I stayed up until 2 a.m. watching an episode of "Foyle's War". I woke this morning fairly early.  I was going to hit the road early. Then I saw Beatrice's face. Her face said "please walk me". We walked together in Glendover Park. She enjoyed it. When we came home, some 45 minutes later, she sacked out.

I hit the road to Park Hill Prairie. This is a county park about an hour from my house. As I drove, I listened to a CD by Bill Nelson and a CD of part of a Jeeves novel.  Park Hill Prairie features one of the last remaining local patches of the original tallgrass prairie. I like to walk there a few times a year.  During this walk, I saw lots of Dickcissel birds. These prairie birds captivate me. They were my first sighting of Dickcissel this year.  I walked for an hour there. Wildflowers were in bloom.  Then I drove to another county park called Sister Grove. I spotted no wildlife there. I ate lunch at Dicky's BBQ in Princeton.  I enjoyed that walk. I also stopped at Caldwell City Park in Princeton, the old P.O.W. camp. I saw several bluebirds before a rain drove me from the field. I got a shower at home. Then my wife and I went shopping. My wedding ring fell off in July 2016 when i spoke at a conference in Washington, D..C.  We set off to get a replacement.  We went to Stonebriar shopping center in Frisco. The massive parking lot was nearly full. We had forgotten it was tax-free weekend
We decided not to go into the mall. We went instead to a nearby Jared jewelry store. A capable young woman helped us not only replace my ring, but get my wife a ring that fit her better. We left the rings with her for minor alteration. We drove to San Miguel in McKinney. for a nice Mexican dinner.

This was a very nice birthday.  My wife got me a charming card, and two CDs of post-punk and electronica music circa early 1980s.

breakfast: purple corn flakes and skim milk
lunch: BBQ chicken, green beans, jalapeno beans and roll
dinner: two chicken enchiladas, salad and bean soup

gurdonark: (Default)
I walked after work for an hour in Allen Station Park.  We went for dinner at Firewater, a nice small restaurant in our town. I liked the air conditioning and the excellent service.  We talked about a potential trip to Oklahoma. My wife described looking into getting us concert tickets, but that the standing-room-only condition of the show combined with its astronomic price deterred her. I often find that pricing for shows is the inverse of my interest in shows. I suppose I have a gift for enjoying less popular bands.

In the more popular musical category, the restaurant stereo began to play Seals and Crofts' "Summer Breeze".  My wife recalled the song playing when her step-mother drove her to the airport as she departed for university for the first time. I remembered the song as being a standard at parties I attended when I was 13 or 14. The song selections at those parties consistently were eclectic.  Curtis Mayfield's "Superfly",Alice Cooper's "I'm Eighteen", Three Dog Night's "Pieces of April", Steely Dan's "Reelin' in the Years" all come to mind. "Superfly" inspired folks to perform a dance called "The Frog". The Frog involved a lot of springing about from one's haunches upward, with suitably frog-like kicks.

I hope to enjoy the outdoors tomorrow morning.

breakfast: purple corn flakes and skim milk
lunch: grilled chicken breast and wing, green beans, a roll
dinner: tomato basil flatbread, a piece of chicken flatbread, salad


Aug. 9th, 2017 09:53 pm
gurdonark: (Default)
The fountain in the middle of the pond flowed freely, with the light illuminating the mist. Later, when I walked, I heard a staccato clicking. The sound reminded me of a kind of typewriter with melody. As I came closer, I saw it was the pinging of water against a portion of the water sprinkler. Before that, I passed people standing in the dark, speaking about vacation. Big lakes like Lake MIchigan are nice, one said, because there are no waves.  I walked in the darkness and thought about eclipses.

Breakfast:  organic frosted flakes and skim milk
Lunch: broccoli, carrots, dill pickles and two slices of pepperoni pizza
Dinner: beef patty and pork loin on sliders, salad

moving mud

Aug. 9th, 2017 06:30 am
gurdonark: (Default)
Yesterday morning I saw a little brown spot on the carpet. I reached down to pick it up. The little brown spot turned out to be a tiny gecko. It skittered away under a divan. I still have a bruise on my left elbow caused by sliding on a wet bridge on my bicycle some weeks ago. My wife arrived home from Kansas City, with tales of good times with family and eclipse planning. I saw a huge Cooper's Hawk in Salmon Park in Sachse yesterday at Noon.  In the late afternoon/early evening after work, I walked in Shawnee Park. A German Shepherd off-leash gave me a quizzical look until his owner put him back on leash. His companion, a Lhasa Apso, came up and barked, until his owner and I assured him that he need not bark. We ate more of the blue potatoes I got in Oklahoma from a farm. They tasted great roasted.

We watched an episode of "Foyle's War" and enjoyed spending a quiet evening at home.

Breakfast: organic frosted flakes with skim milk
Lunch: fried chicken breast and leg, french fries and 1/4 biscuit
Dinner: salad, baked salmon and roasted blue potatoes

gurdonark: (Default)
When I drove home tonight, I saw a pop-up storm fully-formed to my west. Our relatively flat landscape makes these purple-cloud extravaganzas a fun sight off in the distance. The rain pulled down like blue threads.  Soon I had driven into the rain.  Once I got to Collin County, I turned north on a side street, exiting the George Bush Freeway. I stopped at a Taco Bueno for soft chicken tacos, to stay out of the rain for a bit.

When I got to Allen, it was as if it had not rained at all. I put Beatrice's leash on, and walked her around Glendover Park. She had a great time.  I had a nice chat by phone with my wife. Now I am watching one of the Superman movies, and relaxing.

Breakfast: skim milk and organic frosted flakes
Lunch: turkey sandwich, baked chips and vegetable soup from Potbelly
Dinner: three soft chicken tacos.
Page generated Sep. 23rd, 2017 05:24 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios